Thursday, June 7, 2012

Author Branding ~ Thoughts


Author Branding. Creating a unique visual/verbal niche for yourself. Something I always knew I would need to start thinking about but just thought I could work on refining that later…
But as I’m reading all of these articles on author branding 
I’m realizing it’s something I’ve got to do NOW.
What makes me special as a writer? What makes me unique as a person? How do I want people to identify me? What colors do I want to associate myself with? 
I’m thinking about all my writings, what do they have in common? What is unique and is a key component to my style? And so far… I’ve got nothing good. It’s okay, it takes a little time I guess.
One of my favorite bands is Dragonforce. They play “Extreme Power Metal” which really isn’t that much different from standard Power Metal (same chord progressions, songs that are at minimum 6 minutes long, one token ballad/slow song per record) but that’s the brand they created for themselves and it sticks!
So I guess the first step for me is to analyze what is integral to my writing style and describe those aspects with flair. Create a hook for myself. Kind of like a logline for your book, except that it applies to you as a writer/business.
It’s a very daunting task considering all the writers out there who have their own established brand, and all the ones developing brands similar to mine but I have to just remember no matter how similar they are they can’t be me. 
There is a certain amount of excitement I’m feeling too that kinda cancels out the daunting bit of this whole thing. I get to be the architect of how the world perceives me. Saki, the writer. I get to tailor the aesthetics of my blog, take cool headshots, design business cards, write better bio and keep it consistent in all my networks, work on how I present myself, and generally run PR department of my life. And that’s pretty effin cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment