Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Published! Pt. 2

This is a very exciting time for me.

I present to you: "Flowers: A Short Story of Love and Death"























Now this isn't a full length novel and it was *only* self published (be careful about adding that "only" part. To some Indie Authors, that could be considered grounds for fighting!) but what is important is that this marks a beginning for me as an author. It's a first step.

When I decided to take my passion much more serious and ditch the "aspiring" prefix and simply be an author I realized I could go about one of two ways.



  • I could finish, edit and self publish my first book 
  • I could finish and edit my first book and seek an agent to send it to traditional publishers.
Both options had their own set of challenges but I was prepared for that, until a third route opened up.

  • I could finish and edit my first book while self publishing and self promoting some of my shorter works to get experience with promotion and get my name out there. Meanwhile seeking an agent to send it to traditional publishers.
This seemed to be a very logical choice (and logical things make me happy). I have no way of knowing if this is going to be the best option in the long run but it seems to be working out so far, and most of all it's exciting to me. I understand the appeal of self publishing now. Self publishing is a sort of self empowerment to an author and it feels freaking great!

So with that I present my first installment of self published short fiction, a truly dark S.S.S. (Saki Short Story) entitled "Flowers".

It is available now on Amazon for $0.99 and will be available on other platforms (nook, itunes etc..) very soon.

Here's the blurb for the ebook:

George and Chloe are High School sweethearts nearing the end of their senior year with a serious problem. The adorable, inseparable couple that everyone sees smiling and holding hands is a façade. Behind George’s doting ways and charming smile lies a jealousy and paranoia so deep it drives him into a blind rage that is best kept under wraps. When Chloe announces she is moving to California for college George unravels and there is no stopping the rampaging, possessive beast that lives within causing him to do terrible, terrible things. Will George be able to take control of this inner monster before it destroys everything good in his life or will he be a slave to it just as his father was?
This is a story of young love and fear, affection and abuse, sunflowers and suspicion, innocence and blood.


- "Flowers" is a digital Saki Short Story that can be enjoyed easily in one sitting, during a long bus ride, road trip, extended evacuation of the bowels, just about anywhere.

So I suppose this marks the official beginning of my literary career. Some authors out there say "You're not a  real writer until you're paid for your work." While others will tell you "If you write you are a writer."

I'm personally inclined to side with the latter but I guess now I can fall into both categories.

Thanks for taking the time.
-Saki

No comments:

Post a Comment